Monday, February 13, 2012

You know that church basketball...

Yep. This is, of course, an injury story, as are most stories with the words "church basketball" or "MTC basketball" involved. Don't worry, though, everyone's ACLs are still intact!
Miles and I went to our first church basketball game this Saturday, and it was a lot of fun. I got to sit on the sidelines and watch, trying (not very successfully) to curb my instincts to yell and cheer the whole time. Miles only got to play for a little of the first game...he said he "wasn't in the line up," so I guess they've been practicing their moves. During the second game I got distracted talking to the other wives behind me, and when I looked up I saw Miles walking up and down the sidelines with a limp. Turns out he rolled his ankle going to block a pass or something, and by the time the game was over his ankle was all swollen around his shoe. Luckily they were pretty tight, so it kept the swelling down on the lower part of his foot.
We didn't have an ACE bandage, so we headed to WalMart. I figured I'd just run in and leave him in the car. Not Miles.
I dropped him off at the front of the store and then parked and came in looking for him. I couldn't find him anywhere, and I started thinking that maybe someone saw how bad his limp was and kidnapped him or something. Oh no! I decided to look through the store before having them page him or something, and found him happily cruising up the aisles.

I'm not sure if the sound is working on that video or not. I took it on my phone, and I can't figure out how to turn it so it's the right way yet. Sorry! If you know how to do that, let me know, and I'll change it to be the right way.
The happiest camper in WalMart!
Anyway, we iced it*, raised it, ACE bandaged it, and by Sunday it was feeling better, until Miles stood up and put some pressure on it, and it started hurting a LOT. He stayed home and kept it wrapped and elevated, and I went off to church solo for the first time since we got married. Luckily, after church our home teacher brought over some crutches, so Miles has been swinging all over the house, and off to work today (after staying off it all day things were feeling a ton better this morning).

*A couple days ago I noticed a recipe online for a DIY ice pack. I call that a blessing! Here it is:
One part rubbing alchohol
Three parts water
Freeze it a couple hours and you're good to go! The alchohol makes it so that it doesn't freeze completely, but is moldable to the shape of whatever you're icing. Just make sure you have some fabric between the ice pack and the skin, or you may freeze!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, this is basically the best story I've ever heard. I love you people. Miles, way to be mobile with a gimpy ankle! And Jess, you're just a fantastic storyteller as always. I love reading this blog and hearing all about your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH I started laughing hysterically when I scrolled down and saw that video of Miles on the wheelchair cart. XD AH HA HA HA HAAA! So wonderful. XD I laughed so hard that I interrupted Steven who is doing his internship online. I'm sure he forgives me once he reads this post. ;) hahaha. Way to be awesome Miles! :D

    ReplyDelete