Monday, February 13, 2012

The latest project

After fixing up Miles's old bike, cleaning out the garage (we really should take some pics of that. It looks great), and making violin teaching helps, Miles and I were ready for some more projects. We really reallly like making things together, especially when there are tools involved. I had an idea (ok, yes, 500 ideas) I wanted to try off of pinterest, which is the ultimate crafty idea-sharing website, and Miles and I made it together. Only of course we made some improvements! We can't just be COPYCATS!!! Here, so far, is our finished product, hanging on the wall in the kitchen.

We are working on the details of drilling holes in the glass, but I LOVE this idea!
...and if they really work, then we do want to make another set to hang above. How fun!











These are some of those great canning jars, not full of meat OR applesauce anymore, and filled with dirt and rocks in preparation for the little seeds that we planted in egg cartons. The improvement we made was to drill holes in the glass. Yep. I can't speak for Miles here, but I know I definitely felt like a scientist or something, because I never knew you could DO that. Turns out the key is to keep water over the holes you are drilling to catch any dust and keep things cool, and use diamond bits, because they are hard. We used Miles's dremel kit, and it worked GREAT. This way our plants can have drainage, and we added a little layer of rocks at the bottom to keep the soil from leaking out. Then we just attached the bottles with hose clamps to some wood we pulled off a pallet we scavenged from our alleyway, and hung it on our wall. This is what we hope they will look like pretty soon here--------->

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE PINTEREST!!! :D And those look awesome! I can't wait to find out how they work! :)

    ReplyDelete