Friday, October 14, 2011

What can't you do with cardboard?

So...I have to confess that I have a hard time throwing away old cereal boxes, cake boxes, anything made of cardboard...because I just might need it someday, right? My other confession is that I do need it pretty often, and so I keep saving it and making little things out of it. On my mission it was a salt shaker, with my roommates it was a mail keeper and shelf dividers, and well...Miles and I laughed the hardest when he found the "outgoing mail" box I'd made out of a squished mac'n'cheese box, some tape, and a sticky note. I was shooting for functionality on that one, but hit somewhere more around trailer park. :) However, it graced the front door of our house for several afternoons until one day I forgot to bring it back in after the mail went out, and Miles happened to see it when he came home. We are now mail box free again.

Anyway, this week I decided to make a weekly dinner calendar, as part of my quest to become a good cook someday. I thought about printing one out, then changed my mind and got out stuff to draw one, and... yep, you guessed it...it somehow turned into a cardboard project. This time, though, I was determined to make it apartment worthy, and after a lot of experimenting, some tape, and about a million trips back and forth to the craft cupboard I think it turned out cute:
knew that this wrapping paper would come in handy someday!
Also, the roughly 500 little wedding dinner and sealing insert cards left over from our wedding invites are the perfect size to cut in half and write my dinner plans on to put in the pockets each week. Score again!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome. We are so totally related. Be careful, though. Cardboard is the gateway drug of home crafting. If you don't watch out, you'll move on to spray paint next and there's no turning back after that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness soo cute! I wish I had skills. haha. I'd rather pay someone to make stuff for me; crafting is NOT in my genes somehow. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you REALLY ought to do is take one of those leftover cereal boxes, decorate it all over, and then squish the open side so that the opening is more oval than rectangular. Then, you stick it on your head like a hat. Life cereal boxes fit perfectly on Jason's head.

    ReplyDelete