Friday, December 16, 2011

Professionalcrastination

Definition: the skill of putting off the big, important, and possibly crucial things on your to-do list by thinking up every possible combination of little things that suddenly are super important to do. Like passionately organizing the drawer full of sheet music that no one sees instead of practicing the violin. Or making diligent lists of projects that need to be done, while putting off making a phone call to find out what kind of dental benefits are covered by your insurance. Just some examples.
Anyway, that's my excuse for not posting anything on here for a long time. :) I'm telling you, it's one of my best skills!

We're great here in LB, though, and loooooving walking around in short sleeves in the middle of December. Ok, in the morning you might need a jacket, but by the afternoon we're ready to pull out our bikes! Speaking of which...

Hmmm. I can't get the camera to load pictures right now, but next post will have some bike-fixing pictures. We brought home an old bike from Miles's parents' place, and it's getting all fixed up! The only thing we have left is making it pretty now! Well, pretty in the manly sense of the word, of course.

The other big update that I can think of right now is that I'm now focusing full-time on violin teaching. 
In case you weren't in on the last few months, while Miles has been at work I've been working as a nanny for two kids. They were hilarious! Plus, the kids went to their dad's house two weeks out of the month, so I could still keep things running smoothly at home and run errands and stuff on the weeks that I wasn't nanny-ing. The only downside? My hours changed to full time a month ago, which meant we had to get up at 5:30 to get Miles to work before I had to be at work at 7:15. I kept debating about if it was worth it, but I loved getting out of the house and playing with kids, so meh, two weeks each month wasn't so bad to wake up that early, right? I kept thinking about violin, though, and going back and forth about quitting the nanny job, because I wanted to do more with my violin studio. This was NOT going to happen while I was working full time, because I want to fill my days with violin and leave our fun after-work-do-whatever-we-want-time the way it is. This dilemma had been popping in and out of my thoughts for a couple of weeks, and I finally thought, "well, I'll see what happens with the mom's new work schedule, and make a final decision. For real this time!"
I finally got around to texting the mom about her new hours, and ...came to find out that in the two weeks I'd been off, she'd found a preschool for the 3-yr-old, and is going to put the 2-yr-old in daycare. 
Wahoo! Perfect timing, right?! I think on that one my meaning-to-really-ponder-and-pray-about-it-and-make-a-strong-decision got to the professionalcrastination stage, and Heavenly Father just took over and made some things happen. :) thanks, tender mercies!!
I'm so excited to start up my studio efforts again, and this time around I have awesome violin advice from BYU friends and a bunch of friends in the area to help me get a solid start. 
And of course I've made a to-do list...

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it is just nice to have plans fall into your lap, and you don't have to make the hard decisions. That is exciting to start a studio! Best of luck in everything!

    ReplyDelete