Thursday, September 15, 2011

Another reason that Miles loves his job

Apparently the LDS church down here has been having quite a few run-ins lately with bees building hives in steeples, walls, etc.. Miles has been telling me about them, and how they have to get people to come out and extract them, and then ONE day, he came home to tell me about another hive they'd found in one of his buildings. The bees had gotten into a wall from a little pipe left sticking out, and they'd built a hive inside the wall.

When Miles showed me some pictures of him trying on a bee suit, I began to realize that this was going to be no ordinary work week. On the 14th we stayed up late working on a bee smoker--you know, the smoke you blow in the hive to calm them?--but we didn't get it done in time, so that just barely got finished.

Instead, Miles left for work with his bee suit, some cans of wasp spray, and some tape to make sure there were no gaps in his clothes. I spent some good time in fervent prayer that morning! Sometimes I let my imagination run away with me, but I was also excited to see the pictures he promised to take. Here are some of the best ones, and since they tell the story pretty well, I'm not going to write a ton more.

First Miles (and some helpful painters) taped off the hallway so that no bees could get inside the church

he could hear the bees and knew he'd opened the right section of wall. Now for the flash...
An entire hive! See them in between their honeycomb? SO COOL!
Miles demonstrates the safe gear for any bee removal tasks.
This wall is going to need some repair. No more bees, though!
Honeycomb, dead bees, and...a rat! Gross!
 Since Miles is at work and can't type this himself, here are some of the videos he took, so you can hear him explain. Pretty cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment